Volunteer Enrollment and TrainingThank you for your interest in supporting the School District of Clayton through volunteering. Within the District, student safety (both physical and emotional) is a priority. As part of an ongoing effort to protect and provide the safest environment for the students we serve, the District has begun requiring training and background checks each year on all volunteers who will be performing tasks that could put them in close and unsupervised contact with students. Our purpose is to assure parents and the community that our students are safe while at school. This process needs to be completed by all volunteers each school year. As you may already know, all school employees complete a more extensive criminal check before they are hired.
Volunteers who meet one or more of the following criteria must review our volunteer expectations (this is the required training), complete the enrollment form, and submit the confidential forms for the Children’s Division Central Registry Child Abuse Search and Sex Offender background checks:
- the volunteer will have contact with students, such as working with students in the classroom (this does not include supporting school parties or attending school events when the teacher is supervising students)
- the volunteer has a regular and ongoing assignment at the school - such as working in the library or assisting the classroom
- the volunteer will be off campus with students - such as on field trips
- the volunteer is a mentor or tutor to a student(s)
- the volunteer works in the school office conducting clerical work
- the volunteer facilitates a before/after school enrichment club
Our schools very much depend on the work of volunteers! If you have any questions about the volunteer training and background process, please contact the District’s Human Resources office at 314.854.6039.
Below is a checklist and description of the training and forms you must complete:
□ Training - Review Volunteer Expectations Information – Once you have reviewed the Volunteer Expectations Information, you then must complete the enrollment form.
Training - Volunteer Expectations
□ Allergy Policy – Review the District Allergy Policy
District Allergy Policy
□ Enrollment Form – Complete and submit this form to any school or the District Administration Office. You only need to complete the enrollment form once if you are volunteering at multiple schools.
□ Background Check Form – This form is for Children’s Division Central Registry Child Abuse Search and Sex Offender background checks. There is no cost for this background check. Please return the requested form along with the volunteer enrollment paperwork.
Background Check Form